Friday, February 29, 2008

Back to mission statement

It seems I have drifted far and away from my personal mission statement. However I can come back to it whenever I want and today I need some focus. In the past few weeks I have been around the world or so it seems, with the mission I do, receive, live in, and otherwise am affected by.
I am back to that radio devotion time and it always amazes me how many people comment on my devotions. One in particular I got 3 phone calls, one email (request to use) and a card of thanks in the mail. I begin to wonder what that means in my qwest to serve the kingdom. I have mentioned the spiritual gifts inventory, I have spent considerable time with hospice patients, their families and staff at facilities where they reside. There are issues with parishinors both religious and personal. My personal life is at this point in an emotional upheaval that I cannot discuss at the moment. My youngest brother is facing possible long term jail time. Close to me is at the moment the only stable part of life, other than a brand new 16 year old.
So I set here to consider what this all adds up to be in a mission statement. No clue but something seems to be getting clearer and I don't even know what that is.
Maybe it is my seeing the kingdom of God and my role in it. Or maybe it is seeing the role we are all called to be in it. I truly believe that kingdom living is not difficult and that we likely won't see great changes in our actual day to day existence. What will be seen is a different perspective for that existence.
I just took The Hermeneutics Quiz and discovered I am one of the confused moderates. Well that isn't exactly what it says but I am a moderate which likely lends me to a mediator of sorts between the other extremes. This just adds another layer to the already jumbled pile.
I am beginning to believe that we are all in this mess and what we do here is important. The mess we are in is less important than our response to it.
I suppose the mission statement is developing more and more along the lines of "I am a child of God who finds himself in a place of hope and leadership. A called into action person of faith in Jesus Christ to work for the strengthening of the kingdom and called to care for the lost, confused, and needy within the world where I find myself. A proclaimer of hope, a lifter of the downtrodden, and a seeker of spiritual connectedness with the creator."
I don't know if that speaks anything real or not so will offer that to all of you for your comment. WaynO

2 comments:

shaun said...

Wayno,
I agree that MOST of the change that God makes is inside us, Our perspective. I also think what we do here is really important.
I still have no personal mission statement, but I do desire to be closer to God than I am. I also really desire to Make a difference here and now that will help in some small way to bring God's kingdom a little closer.
But , I am a mess. I'm afraid that a lot of the time I am not a very good witness for God in my own effort.
I'm really glad He is so patient with me.

Debra said...

Wayne,
I took the Hermeneitics Quiz. I am a conservative not far from being a moderate, but not quite. But it was very interesting and I learned some things from that. I am still thinking about my mission statement. When are your devotions on? I would be interested to hear them or read them if you have them in print. As you already know we are multi-faceted, so we can many things. And we need to be many things because every encounter we have can and most of the time brings with it different nuances. Different people need different things. We all have strengths and weaknesses and I think sometimes God uses are weaknesses instead of our strengths so the glory goes to him. It is really all about being kingdom laborers.