Saturday, February 23, 2008

Buildings and such

Well I got some reponse from the last post. I posted earlier that my spiritual gifts inventory pointed to me being a prophet and the exhortation accompanied that. Maybe that is the reason I feel so compelled to speak some of the burning questions that lurk inside me to the people. I get this driving need of expression and find little to express it to. I began blogging for this very reason and it really has helped.
For one thing I discovered a lot of you out there are suffering with similar issues. The church is too authoritative. The claim is that the Word of God holds the authority yet it is forced to be read a certain way, or followed a certain way, or used a certain way.
In the last week I have been in two situations that challenged the authority of those in position. The first was two presbyteries (middle governing bodies) trying to work together. We came with places for that to happen and then needed to get permission. I was amazed, I don't need permission to work with another person! And if I do then I do not need the hassle. Conclusion is we begin the work and report on it, Whoo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The next was a presbytery trying to streamline the installation of pastors. Discovered we had not been given permission. My question, is it forbidden. Had to give the body present cudoos as they voted to not follow the book. (not the Bible the other book)
So tomorrow I begin on the journey of calling 2 churches to task of finding a place for us to be part of the kingdom. To really examine ourselves and see what missional, emerging, or some other tag line fits us. Seek a way in the world where we can be what the original church plant in the presbyterian process was about. "God calls a church into being for a purpose in the location it is being called to being in."
My thought is, if it cannot identify that calling then it ought to close so someone can be called there. We really have a purpose and need to find it.
Boy I really get wrapped up in this stuff. I think I need to get back to the mission statement for me.
Pastor WaynO

3 comments:

shaun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shaun said...

Wayno I think this is all really important stuff and it is so easy to get wrapped up in it . For me I think the most important thing is to continue to question. Mostly ourselves , our motives and our hearts. Buildings are just that , buildings as far as I'm concerned. I pray that God will lead us all in His paths and "not into temptation" .
I hope you are well tonight.
I also wanted to let you know I tagged you for a meme on my blog so if you want to go have a look. If not it's cool.
Peace Brother ( thanks for all of your prayers)

WaynO said...

So you have to explain the meme to me. WaynO