Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Question #5

Okay I think I need to regroup and see what I have thus far. Seems like when I put it all together I end up with this talkitive listener who is compassionate and likes to help people who are on the outs.
If I look onto the next question then it just gets more of the same.
#5 -- There are certain kinds o human need that "get to you," that open your heart and send tears down your cheeks. Jot down some thoughts about these people and needs.
I really think what gets to me are two groups of people. The first are those who try really hard, work at it all the time, seriously try to make things in life better. Nothing even close seems to come their way. For all the trying nothing positive seems to move to them. Those are the ones I would give anything I could to in an attempt to lift them up and get them started in a postive direction.
The second is a group of those who are blessed with things working out for them. They seem to be bent on destruction and even then can't seem to get things to go wrong. The issue I have with them is that they have it all going for them and don't see it, they can't see the signs along the road to even follow. Breaks my heart as they can/could do so much for the world.
I suppose I am from the latter group and am at this late date attempting to do something worthwhile in life. Always cared for people just now do that for the Lord and to his glory I pray.

So how bout the rest of you out there???? Is there a group that breaks your heart???? In my world what hits me hardest is what is closests to me. Think about it and let me know.
Pastor WaynO

4 comments:

shaun said...

I think there are two groups that really break my heart. One group is addicts. I have an ex-wife and a son who are both addicts. I myself sort of fit into that category. Drugs (of any kind) can take such a hold of your life if you let it. I was controlled by my desire to get high and many are locked into this deadly cycle of doing drugs just to have a few minutes away from the searing pain inside them. They put up a good front but it is fear and weakness that compel them to do it.
The second is Homeless People.
I always look at these people and think,"I am about 2 paychecks away from that".
Some people look at them as trouble or as worthless. But I believe that all people have worth. We are created in God's image how could we be worthless?
Sometimes when I have met a homeless person , I can see it in their eyes that they believe the lie. They think they are worthless and I think for many that feeling is what ultimately led to them being homeless.
Anyway those are my two groups, funny , sometimes they intermingle.
Peace

WaynO said...

Same folks I would suppose. I live in a world that does not have any if many street people. There are the drugs as much here as any I suppose. They manufacture Meth locally as the supplies are readily available. The way it grabs a life and destroys it is beyond my comprehension and I have lived there a bit.
I think it was CS Lewis who said something about the man in the gutter praying a more honest prayer than the one at the altar.
Thanks Shaun for your seeing and showing about life.
WaynO

shaun said...

I have one thing to add to that quote Wayno, Another thing I love from C.S.Lewis ,"For there are two things inside me, competing with the human self which I must try to become. They are the Animal self, and the Diabolical self. The Diabolical self is the worse of the two. That is why a cold, self-righteous prig who goes regularly to church may be far nearer to hell than a prostitute. But, of course, it is better to be neither." (book 3 chapter 15 of Mere Christianity) I think that goes along with you quote. I can't believe how many people will quote this great man of God and not "get it" about the way he viewed Christianity. (at least in theory) he overlooked the outward appearance and was much more concerned with our soul. What is in our hearts is what condemns us not our outward actions. I am sure that sounds like a license to sin, that's not what I mean at all. But why are we so quick to judge the man who drinks 10 beers every night after work and not look at ourselves? If we are always focused on what others are doing wrong then perhaps, I suggest that our hearts are wrong and that is far worse.
Peace Be With You Brother

Johanna said...

Teenage moms. I admire their bravery and sacrifice, but my heart breaks with their hopes that everything will work out rose-y and perfect. I remember everything I was able to do in my 20's, and I wish that they had the same freedom. My stepdaughter had a baby at 15, was an excellent mom, but ....the other group lives side by side with me in my neighborhood, a population I hadn't experienced before, the poor people who don't even envision anything better than the stark life they grew up in,there is no bright light at the end of the tunnel, no goal to strive for. They repeat the life experiences of their parents, often in their parent's home, as adults, without ever hoping for something better. This breaks my heart. And there isn't anything I can do to help(I am no financial dynamo, or adviser) other than to hang out and not seem weird. Really. This has had a strange effect, in my neighborhood, people have told me that they were afraid to approach me because of my, I don't know, geekiness,until I started hanging out for barbecues and visiting with beer and stories of my personal plights. Once I revealed my weaknesses, I was accepted and loved, and my house has never been busier. But my heart always breaks a little when the woman I consider my closest friend ducks her head and says "I don't want to bother you guys" because she considers her own company a bother in any situation, when I am delighted to see her. People who look down on themselves, from my brilliant scientist sister to my neighbor who doesn't want to bother us, people who feel inferior(to me!!!!!!!??????????)and hide themselves in shame, when they are the very people I strive to be more like every day.