Wednesday, February 20, 2008

letter to the church

This is my latest attempt to agrivate (only kidding), no to stimulate some conversation about a new kind of place and worship. WaynO
From the Pastor,
I sit here looking forward, trying to peer into the future and see the Easter story. To see where it touches me and where it reaches deep into that inner place each of us hold so tightly closed. To take a little peek inside the story is to look into the heart of God. Seeing just what the sacrifice was that is so special and why it had to be what it was. Looking to try and find my own story of grace and life within the greater story of love and compassion. This is a story of offerings and commitment, one of callings and gifts. There within the story is something surprising, something we never expect to see.
This probably sounds a bit confusing or maybe that I am moving in circles but it is still the Lenten season and we are still in the darkness before the light so dig a little deeper within and see what is there. Look in those secret places and in the dusty, long forgotten recesses of the mind and spirit. Look inside and find your own story and where it is completed by Easter. See where it is made whole by Easter. As you search and seek I have some thoughts for you to ponder on.
The first one that has come to my mind and is stirring within me some controversy is, "does the church need a building?" Before you get upset think this through. I sat with some of the ladies after "Happy Hour" at Good Sam and I asked this question. I got varied and hesitant answers. Does the church need a building?
If you said yes then justify the building. What is it for? How much is it used? What are the expenses of having it?
If you said no, well just where will we meet? How will we have funeral dinners? What would we do with the one we have?
Next question I asked is does the church need a pastor? Same thing as the building, if yes then why, what for, what are the expenses? If no then who will do the work the pastor does, how the church will be lead and so on. I ask you not to get me involved in this as it is just a general question and if you have issues with my work talk with your Parish Council members as they oversee my work for you.
In this same conversation I offered a new approach to a ministry already happening and asked if it might be redone to be more giving and less receiving. This may be what should have been the first discussion but I thought the other might provoke you to begin thinking or at least read on. I have always been good at the "What If" game. What if the church was to stop worrying about taking in money and only worried about what we needed to give? Say you did this in your own life first, began to give of everything you have. Give of your time and your money, of your house and your car? What if the firsts thing in the morning you asked God to direct you to someone in need? What if we all began to do this, in sincerity, and then as a body of believers began to act this way? Would the church you call yours be different? Would it have the same needs and priorities?
These are the hard questions of Lent, those that are seldom asked because we don’t want to think about them. I have spent the last year or more pondering these things in my mind and my heart and feel I need to get them out to all of you. At least help me find the answers I need to find and how to direct the life of the church to reflect God’s grace. Look to Easter, see the story, know who you belong to and know his calling on your life.
Grace and Peace, Pastor WaynO

2 comments:

Ken said...

Wow. This is a huge concept, hard to cover in a comment. But, in a nutshell, I would say that the reality of the Kingdom of God is much greater than a structured (or non-structured) idea of 'church'. I believe the Kingdom of God is incredibly more dynamic and organic than Christendom allows for. I believe missional groups serving within the Kingdom have lots of room to collaborate with the King as to what their particular structural needs will be in accordance with where they are (both spiritually and physically) located. Thus, according to their location, some missional groups will fare well without the need or use of a building - or even an 'ordained Pastor' - if they have structured themselves thus from their inception. Other missional groups need and utilize a building and Pastor because their missional structure calls for such an established place in the community from which to serve.

I don't see the answer as either/or. I believe the answer lies in the question: “What is our corporate missional statement and vision, and what kinds of structural elements do we need to prosper in our mission?”

I would think the answer to that question would better define the answers to your posted questions.

WaynO said...

I do agree with what you say. The questions are posed for the sake of discussion and to make the people think about what they are and what they are called to do.
I will use sermons for a while to address the questions and hope that I don't get fired for asking. I do ask and get little response so feel I need to do more to activate??? the people.
I blog because of this frustration with the church in general.
WaynO