Saturday, March 8, 2008

Can't move on

Boy this seems to really have a hold on me. I started out to develop a mission statement and got side tracked to something maybe far off but maybe not. I just can't seem to get past the thoughts I have aquired about church and religion and faithful disciple. I am not even sure what I mean by all that.
Thanks to those who read and walk with me through this maze I have found myself in. I have now added another ember to the smoldering fire that I am quite sure will erupt at the worst possible moment. A local church has been participating in the "Dare 2 Share" project. It is filtering into the groups I am responsible for and I am not sure how to respond.
The first thing I noticed when watching a video at one Sr. High group is that this is right in line with so much I have been reading and thinking. It pits religion and relationship with Jesus against each other. Then one of the old members of that group gave a book from there to my wife who used to be her youth leader and said she should read it as it is what my wife used to tell them in the youth group.
I have thought about taking the groups from the churches I serve to one of the conferences just can't seem to get adult volunteers to help out.
This is good stuff I think but it leaves me a bit confused as the church that is using it is or at least has been in the past all about growing their numbers. They have the reputation of being sheep stealers and I personally know they at one time they said at least the church I serve did not use the Bible. It came from them that I would not allow the leaders of the youth to tell the kids they needed to commit to Jesus. That may have come from my difficulty with "Got Saved" which the D2S says is not enough it is only a beginning, which is my struggle.
I am at a loss this evening, flu all day, sermon due am, time change, youth stuff, member who had 2 surgeries in one week and needs more. I feel like I am complaining but not really, just trying to make sense of a call from God to serve here or maybe something else.
Sorry to dump it out here but any thoughts would be helpful.
Pastor WaynO

3 comments:

shaun said...

Sorry about your difficulties WaynO. I know this is really deep stuff that is hard to sort through.
I am wondering myself a lot. Because I am in the Hospitality industry I see so many issues with the "normal" way people just accept that church is done. I worked this day where People come to my restaurant from church , and proceed to be condescending and mean (not to mention cheap) to those who they THINK need salvation.
I actually am beginning to hate the word "Christian". People just really suck sometimes. I think there is good in all of us, but we all are clueless, yes even those sanctified and saved individuals that come from church and sit and eat BBQ . Then, after leaving a tract and a $2 tip on a $30 check Drive their big expensive cars home in full assurance they have truly "SERVED THE LORD " today.
Yes even they have it wrong.

I'm sorry I guess this isn't very helpful. But since a couple of years ago I have struggled with the " Sinner's Prayer " and the implications of it. It is in no way scriptural (that I have been effectively shown) that by a prayer we can be saved. I don't believe it and I think we lead many people down a dark path by saying this is how it is done.
Prayer is wonderful, Jesus saves.
There is only one way and He is IT.

On a side note,
Would you please pray for my family? My wife moved out of our house and took our younger children. I am here with my 15 year old. I don't want to complain, but I don't know what to do and I feel like my life is falling apart. I don't want a divorce, but I think this could be headed in that direction. any way would you pray?
Thanks in advance. Shaun

WaynO said...

will pray. That is the most effective tool I have ever found and it supports me almost continually. I have no great advice but hang in there and try to communicate.
I have the same issue with the religious folk. they have all the answers and tell us so but sure don't live like it.
I think that is why I get stuck in these places sometimes, it just does not feel right, it don't look right and it really! ain't right. Oh well I suppose we just keep on keepin on best as we can.
Pastor WaynO

Debra said...

Wayne,
Not sure if I have ever shared this with you before. I have always had a problem with "religion". All the rules and regulations of the churches. When I came to know Christ and excepted him as Lord and Savior. It was through scripture. Mark 16:15-16a He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved. John 14:6 Jesus answered, " I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.John 10:9 I am the gate;whoever enters through me will be saved.Romans 9-10,13 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.How much plainer does it need to be. There is only one way to be saved.(my opinion which I gleaned from scripture.) Ephesians 2:4-5 But because of his great love for us,God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions, it is by grace you have been saved.Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one can boast.
I think scripture is clear on being saved.In Matthew 24 the disciples ask Christ about the end of the age Christ told them there would be false prophets(teachers) verse 10-13 At that time may will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, and many false prophets(teachers) will appear and deceive many people. Because of the increase of wickedness,the love of most will grow cold. But he who stands firm to the end will be saved. I bring up this last scripture in light of all the stuff that is out there.
I see no strings attached t being saved. Now, for me since I have confessed Christ as my Savior, I want to try to live and do what I find God guiding me to do. I also know that when it is my time to stand before God, I will have to answer to him for my life here no one else. I know that for me when I know I am doing what God wants me to do there is peace in my heart. But when I am conflicted about things I have no peace. There are a lot of people out there that can make anything sound good, but what are their motivations. And as a teacher you can only put out there what you feel you are being led to teach. It is then up to the people. We are accountable to no one, but God.