Monday, December 10, 2007

Still amazed at no responses. What is it that I need to do to get someone to like or dislike what I post? Is it that I think I am posting but none of this is actually leaving my computer?
Kinda scary ain't it to think we might be posting to ourselves and think we are putting this stuff out in the big old scary world? Oh, well here goes a new thought.
Not sure how to begin the thought process but as we study the Bible things from the world jump in and can mess things up a bit or at least add a whole new dynamic. One such thing is the movie the Golden Compass. As I have stated before I don't like the whole concept of boycotting and e-bashing or using the internet and email as a ground to throw things at someone or something. This movie is no different than so much other stuff and I happened to notice that Harry Potter is the new up and coming Christmas movie thon. I would be interested to hear thoughts and especially info on the new one the Golden Compass.I found on the PCUSA site a statement about the movie and some of its bias' and theology. I would encourage you to check out the site at http://www.pcusa.org/theologyandworship/goldencompass.htmIf there are other somewhat open minded sites for info I would be interested in them also. Lets get some sharing going on here.Pastor WaynO

4 comments:

Debra said...

Guess who! I know how you feel. You have been at this longer than me. But, I have had no response except for you. But, I have checked out some of the other blogs, but have left no comment. So, may be someone is reading us and leaving no message.

I heard a comment concerning children and the golden compass. That if our kids have been grounded in Jesus, we have established the seed and one movie is not going to change that. As with anything, what affects on person, may not make a difference with the next. It's like the question, does violence on TV or movies make violent kids?
But, then on the other hand I think the enemy(satan)will use any crevice he can to get in our thoughts and plant seeds of doubt. I think parents just need to be aware of the theme of any movie or books that their kids are watching and reading and talk with them.

Jeffrey E.W. said...

WaynO,

Nice blog. You would probably get more response to your blog if you titled your posts. When someone does a google blog search the title of the post is what comes up. Also, leave comments at other blogs and they will be able to click on your username which leads to your profile page. Hope that helps.

-Jeff

Editor and Publisher Shelly Burke said...

Deb AND Pastor--I think I've been blogging longer than BOTH of you and have very few responses--LOL! If you want to check out my blog it's at www.shellyburke.net/blog.

What I really wanted to comment on was your "Golden Compass" post. I've gotten several of the "protest" letters/comments and truthfully, haven't read them. I don't plan to see the movie . . . just because I don't see many movies and it doesn't look like it would be the type I'd want to see.

It reminds me of the controversy surrounding "The DaVinci Code" several years ago. I DID read the book (and all the others by that author) and really enjoyed it! I know some of the things presented by the author were not "facts".

But I think we as Christians have a responsibility to know what OUR beliefs are, what the Bible really and truly says, in regards to movies, TV, books, and so on. Then we can make our own judgements about reading a book or going to a movie, not based on an e-mail or protest letter, but on what we KNOW to be true.

Reading The DaVinci Code did NOT make me question my beliefs, or weaken them. I read the book for what it was--entertaining fiction!

BEfore we protest too much, I think we also have to look at what appears on TV every single day . . . and do we protest nearly as much about that?

I think that as Christians, we should KNOW what our beliefs are, and be ready to present them clearly and calmly, when the opportunity arises, be it in regards to a book, movie, TV show, or any other aspect of daily life.

Pastor, I wish you continued healing!

WaynO said...

Great response. Just when you think all is lost there someone is to encourage you. Jeff thanks for the info and Shelley I will check out the blog. Deb keep up the good work and let's not forget who we are about to celebrate.