Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just thinking

I have been contemplating what the world thinks of us rich americans. We were blessed with the SIFA choir which is a group of young people (ages 7-17) from Uganda who are traveling the US singing and spreading the word about the plight of children there and in all of Africa.
They sing and take up a collection to build a school so they can have a better life and then pass that on to future generations.
As I sat listening to them I bagan to wonder what they think of us. I mean not what they say of how lucky we are and how generous we are. How they want to be like us in many ways. What struck me was, as I sat there in my posh pew, with a full stomach, clothes to wear and a beautiful family in my own home was; it is almost humurous how we sat there watching, enamored with the cute little black kids dancing and singing. How we sat so smuggly thinking how we are such heroes helping them get things better. We were so blessed.
It at first made me chuckle at the arrogance, for lack of a better word, of helping them out. We sat there and gave from our blessings so these little ones might have a better life. I know I keep saying a better life for them and that is what is projected to open our pockets. But then I offered up a prayer for them and the reality of it all overwhelmed me.
These are so like many little people in our society and we who are so rich look down on them and offer help. We look down from our ivory towers, well mine is lap sided and needs paint but it is mine and it is warm iin the winter and cool in the summer. What stuck my heart and nearly caused it to bleed all over the place, what took me to tears was we want to make them like us. We condescendingly look down and offer a pitance of what we could have and pat ourselves on the back and feel real good and say how we are walking like Jesus and and and!!!
I am not sure what this is about but I have been preaching to the congregation that we need to take those people by the hand and walk with them. Not just give a hand out to them but really extend a hand out to them. Like Jesus with his disciples and Peter getting out of the boat and sinking, give them a hand up and help them into the boat and help to calm the storm of life that is battering them.
I don't live in a big city with lots of homeless people but where I live there are many in need of much. I really need to get out and be with them more and along with that need to encourage the people I serve in the church to do the same. They are a caring people and do lots for the community so I need to give them a pat on the back for all they do.
But is it enough???? Is there something we are missing???? How can we begin to tell the story of love and forgiveness that we all claim????
Oh well I suppose the song is right --- Hello little starving Asian child, I would love to help you but right now I must finish this thesis on the devine right of kings!!! (from the 70's and at the moment can't get who)
WaynO

2 comments:

shaun said...

Wayno,
I know what you mean, all we do to help seems like it is very futile and meaningless. We think we are doing great works when the reality is, (just like the welfare system) the "help" we offer just serves to perpetuate the problem. I have the same desire, but how to realize that is still a bit foggy for me. At any rate, I know that if we keep seeking Him, honestly, we will find our way. He promised.
Peace bro,
Shaun

WaynO said...

Shaun,
I suppose that is what my post was all about. I am unsure of what it means/what to do about it. It just really gets me sometimes.
WaynO