Sunday, April 27, 2008

Season Winding Down

I never know what to title a post but think this may be appropriate. The season of Easter is rapidly ending. As next Sunday is Ascension Sunday and the following is Pentecost I must begin to change the vision and content of worship.
I get caught in betwixt this liturgical and the open ended unstructured non bulletined worship so many tout these days. I like the liturgical as it gives us a reason to move from one place to another, it offers us a discipline of worship and a journey through scripture that otherwise may get misdirected.
In the church where I serve I am constantly reminded of the faith that ungirds everything these people do. In the last 4 or so weeks there has been hell abounding with illness and accidents. There are those who are the old guard finding themselves in the hospital, sometimes with answers and hope and other times without either.
As one elder recovers from abdominal anurism another enters for a minor heart check resulting in both carodids cleaned and a 4 way bipass. All the while one more is in yet another hospital trying to find out why the kidneys are not removing the toxins from the blood.
These are all on the way to recovery, home and getting better when an accident claims the life of a 45 year old man, and the organist of one church is life flighted out with a severe heart condition.
Not to bad for about 100 signed on members.
Today they reassure me of who's they are as we lift in prayer yet others and proclaim to God the glory of healing (no mention of the Dr. just God) and restoring of much devestation.
I am amazed once again, then wonder why ever would I doubt that the people who would give the shirt off their back to one in need would ever not proclaim their God and Savior.
We are missional and we are liturgical and we are a church. Praise the Lord for these saints who keep the faith from failing. Praise the Lord for these saints who teach a young minimally trained pastor what it means to serve a risen Lord.
Amen and praise to all in the name of Jesus the Christ.
WaynO

1 comment:

shaun said...

I tagged you on my blog.