Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Gettin Crazy

Wow what a week and it is only Tues. If you have been reading my blog a while you may remember the newsletter I posted that seemed to get some of the ladies in the church I service a bit upset.
I asked a question -- "does the church need a building to be the church?" I found out later some thought I was selling the building owned by the church!!!! I simply wanted to make a point and create some thought that might create some activity.
Then I dropped a giant bomb shell and suggested that the fairly traded coffee we sell become a mission. Explaination --- we purchase coffee because we believe it is a good thing, then we offer it free will donation and use those funds for anothe mission project.
Goal -- we support two missions and do a bunch of educaiton in the process.
Well this morning on the hospice chaplain call in our thought for the day is --- "Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go" this followed by the administration comment that "we are here to keep you from going to far".

To bring this back to original thought, I can't say what at this point but one of the session members said he wanted to get a little crazy??????? Wow did he ever have an idea, silent discussion then a little more then some real thinking going on.
I am pumped today and have to go get a CPR card blek.
I checked blogs and found this linked to and thought it fit into the same pericope, the challenge is to the current church to get up, get crazy, go the limit, see what we can do with Jesus!!!!!!!!
I think the link got put up on my last post all by itself. Man if I ever get this thing figured out it will amazing.
Grace adn Peace WaynO

3 comments:

shaun said...

Wayno,
I read the "run with it" post a few days ago and really I think it's great that it is getting some notice.. In fact before I went to your blog I just emailed it out to a kid that I email back & forth with just to get his perspective on things..
Any way I am glad for you that God seems to be making a new path for you and your local body of believers.. I am still all messed up and searching for some way to be relevant at all .. ( given the current state of affairs at home it seems quite impossible).
I think God is moving in ways we had not thought of before (at least in the last hundred years in this country) and we are in for some surprises because God is much bigger and wilder than we had imagined..
God Bless you,
Shaun

WaynO said...

Thanks for the thoughts. I wish more would respond so I don't feel like I am so alone in this thinking thing.
Great stuff out there in cyber land jsut have to sort through it to find.
I find when I think I am least relevant that when looking back I may have been most relevant.
My discernment of God and me is best done looking over my shoulder.
WaynO

Debra said...

Wayne,
I believe where the struggle within the church comes from, is that there are only a handful in every church, that truly want to make a difference,that have the faith to make a difference, the rest have the Bible knowledge, they show up on Sunday because that's what's expected, it is also a social thing, they would tell you that they are Christians, but they never crack open their Bibles except on Sunday. They watch the clock to see when the service will be over. Monday rolls around and they are back doing what they always do. Most of them are nice people,but they miss the whole relationship with God. They believe in God, believe that Christ is his son and that is where it ends. They may pray when it's convenient for them. Please God help me out of this mess. They go through the motions of Christian life without realizing that God is a moment by moment God, not just a Sunday God. Most don't realize that they have a need for God. They fill the voids in life with money,materialism, sports, work. I think since we live in such an affluent society, so many don't see the need for God. They take care of all their own needs. As Christ said in Mark 10:25 after talking with the young man about selling all he had and giving it to the poor. Jesus said,"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." Man made rules and laws have over taken the church. It is so very hard to break through them. We hear so often it has always been done this way. I do believe change is coming because some of us are bursting at the seams to break free from "it's always been done that way" to doing things the way God would like us to do them.
Deb