Friday, November 23, 2007

I know for a fact there are more people reading this than are posting. This is the same issue I see in the church visible, a lot of people looking but few participating.
What I would really like to post here is some thoughts about being a pastor. I am not sure about others out there but I have the thought, "is it really ligitimate to be a pastor hired by the church?"
It seems sometimes that if they pay me I become the Christian for them, I do the worship and live the life, I repent and I make the sacrifice. Would it be a different type of church if there were no "Pastor" per say? I know there are faith tribes as some have declared them who worship in this way.
This brings up some real issues because I for one spend a great deal of time visiting with people who are sick or needing encouragement, those whose lives are messed up and some marriages that are on the rocks. I see that the church property is kept up, I don't do the work I just point out the problems ;o). There is a great deal of communication and paper work that comes to me. It is not only the stuff to keep the church legal and in existence but also from other non profits that benefit people.
I work a lot with domestic violence, disaster relief, police departments, hospital chaplain, nursing home chaplain, and on the list goes.
If there is no paid staff how do these things get accomplished?? Who would take the care out into the world?
A lot of what lies under the emerging stuff is the question, "what is the church really?" I struggle with so many of the emerging leaders who are simply trying to stamp their brand of "Church" on something and make it a big deal.
I have read in chat rooms the questions and thoughts from those who really began asking the questions and they are no more satisfied with the new movement than I am. I visited with one of the early leaders and he has basically been left feeling it went the wrong way. The Emergent Church will help you start a local cohort (church) but to stay with them you must atttend at least one of the national conferences. Just a new denomination nothing different except U2 playing at the service.
What is happening and who are we becoming??? What is Jesus tellling us about being the church???? Where do us called to lead, lead the followers???
Arrgghhh!!!!!!!!!!!! Pastor WaynO

2 comments:

Debra said...

One of your questions"Who would take the care to the world?" for some reason this question brought to mind this scripture Matthew 7:13-14.Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life,and there are few who find it.
There would be a few, to go out into the world.I am ashamed to say, I haven't done much going out into the world.I have done some, but not much.I know there are areas where I could help.(I have what I call my reasons, but truth be told, they are excuses.)I have started to change that in a very small way and hope that I will be doing more in the future.(I like hiding behind my computer screen)

I think we are to be "the church" Christ's church everyday.The loving,forgiving,kind,considerate, church.Be like Christ.

Unfortunately the organized church have become such money mongers, yes, they do some good things,support missionaries,help with food pantries, and that list goes on and on.I think the church falls short in the personal dept.Does the church embrace it's neighbors, does it embrace the lonely, the old,the divorced, I say no.There is a part of the church that look down their smug noses at the not so nice,or the least. Now I am not saying that about the whole church, because there are those who truly care about their neighbors.It's the ones who don't that cause the discontent. The smug ones that profess to being a Christian on Sunday and are singing a different song rest of the week.Christ identified them as pharisees.

One of the points I am trying to get to is that I believe God is calling out, those, that he has their hearts.He knows what they can do and he enables them to do what he has called them for. Those that are called need to really listen to God's voice,Because, at the same time God's enemy will do whatever he can to undermine, what the called are to do. Sometimes I think we get so bogged down trying to do the right things we get lost and confused and that is right where the enemy would have us be.

Never give up the fight.I know with all my heart that all we do now, will be well worth it in the end.

One day and one person at a time.

The called to lead, should lead the followers to the foot of the cross to Christ.So, they in turn can go out. One day and one person at a time.

If I am off the mark let me know.

You certianly give lots of food for thought.

One more thing you can't do it all alone. Good thing you have God in your corner.

WaynO said...

Thanks Deb, I believe it is true we are to take the church out to the world and many churches have lost the mission vision that brought them to where they are to begin with.
This might be a great new study, one that addresses what we are about and what we should do. I also want to take the thought for the church to kingdom living -- living as kingdom believers every minute of every day.
It is about more than the evangelical preaching Jesus to the masses or the liberal (tongue in cheek) social justice issues.
Kingdom living is about all of life and sharing everything. Our money, our time, our resources, our life, with those who don't have whatever.
Not sure if this tags with what you were thinking Deb but hope so or let me know. WaynO