Monday, November 12, 2007

Boy I got the wrong button there, I was looking to put that on my other blog http://pastorwayno-biblestudy.blogspot.com/ where we have been talking about stewardship for Christians. Any way Debra has been there participating and she got so inspired that she set up her own blog. Now all that is needed is someone to blog with her.
I spend time here thinking through being a preacher and had time to let stuff grow while driving to a funeral the other day. It was for a real life cowboy from the hat to the boots and all places in between. I was supposed to say something at the graveside so was giving it some thought when it occured to me some cowboy poetry might be nice. I had scavanged some from the net but in my mind one was churning up also. It went something like this:


A wandering from the Elkhorn
They called on me to have somethin' to say
Not all that preachin' so borin'
but somethin' profound for the day

there I was a contemplatin
this ornery old codger who'd died
from up Wolf Creek direction
to know what he'd like my mind had tried

He was from north of the Niobrara
up past the Keya Paha
near the border of the southern Dakota
most important he was know as grampa

Now out in the Wolf Creek area
He was know as quite a fine fella
ridin an ropin and raisin some hell
he many a man helped and child did raise

I still don't know what I would say
but the pressure of a funeral
did pass on that from us that day
we all will miss ol' Jim that's for sure

But he gave us some great girls
and boys he did tooo
in the time of his life he

Ah, heck I can't make this thing rhyme but Jim we will miss and think of you much.
Just ride on up there in the sky on that big ol' paint God kept just fer you
We know your up there as said it for sure, Jesus saves us but more can do
As he made a special place there just fer me an you.


Maybe not a cowboy poet but wonder how tryin to think like a poet or at least like the people we preach to might change what we say????????????????????????
WaynO

No comments: