Thursday, January 3, 2008

Personal Mission Statement #2

So I have the first question with some sort of an answer. I think I am good at communication. I rationalize this by puttting together the things I do best. I am a good speaker, teacher, I can help people with encouragement, working through their problems. If I can do all those things it is like my gift is communication.
So with that I need to tell all that this outline comes from the book, "Recovering the Sacred Center" by Howard E. Friend Jr.. It was sent to me by my Executive Presbyter Bob Houser.

The next question #2 is, "Remember times of accomplishment in your life, of achievement or success. In these times of accomplishment, what skills, abilities, traits, or personal qualities were called forth?"
Now I find the same issues trying to recognize a time of accomplishment. What have I accomplished in life? Is there a real thing, a real time I was successful at something?
Well off on another search. How are all of you doing with your mission statement??? Any help, suggestions or questions???
Lets keep this thing going. Pastor WaynO

4 comments:

Johanna said...

Howdy, I'm Shaun's wife, and jumped over from his comments, and am really intrigued by your posts.Not in a wise sort of way, in a bumbling sort of way. Because I don't really have a mission statement other than the nagging thought at the back of my head that any downtrodden person asking me for anything could be Jesus. This has been ongoing, even in my 20's when I called myself an atheist(rebellion). My only spiritual gift, as far as I can tell, is niceness, but I tend to get repaid a thousandfold and feel guilty for receiving. So I look forward to your future posts, although I myself feel like I let God down everyday. Is that normal?

shaun said...

I also don't really have a personal mission statement. I know I want to please God ,but I also know that I am not really very good at doing that.I guess you know , when I was in prison I had a very good daily routine of prayer & scripture reading. I felt closer to God in there than at any other time in my life. I guess recapturing some of that focus would be a good "mission". I'm not sure if I will come up with an actual mission statement , I'm not sure I need one just for me , & really what difference does my "mission" make? Lately I am trying to be discerning and figure out just what God wants from me next , so maybe listening for and then following after would be a beginning. Peace

WaynO said...

Ah the old beat myself up with guilt trick. I know how that feeling is. Remember non of us can do this alone. We are failures, miserable sinfulness creatures that need God to direct us.
What you do well. My exec said to take what you think you do well adn then ask some friends you trust for an opinion.
I am beginning to feel like I do death very well. Not my own but I have been dealing with so much death lately that it seems to reafirm it. I had two funerals last week, one Thurs. and one Fri. then today my one of my best friends called and told me his mom died .\
I am a hospice chaplain and normally have 15 to 20 funerals per year as a pastor. I think if it is not something I do well at least it is something I am called to.
You mentioned being nice to people, that sounds like the gift of hospitality to me. Oh, and that is really important.
When I get my head back together I will be working on the mission statement again.
Welcome, Grace and Peace WaynO

Debra said...

Becoming a pastor was an accomplishment. Actually realizing that God had called you, would be an accomplishment.Becoming a child of God is an accomplishment.