Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Answer to #2

Well I am back a bit and off from a week with 2 large funerals complete with evening prayer services and all the stuff that goes along with death. Went well until Monday when a very good friend called and his mother just died. I am beginning to think that I may be good at death, or at least called to be in the midst of it.
All that aside I move to number 2. I am good at communication so take that and add a great accomplishment --- I found a wife who will be with me through thick and thin. I am sure there is more thin (other than my figure) than thick but we are together through it all.
I also passed the exam to sell life and health insurance (long time ago). I got pictures published, I had my own farm, (learned about being broke), graduated a son and daughter from High School, I passed the exam to be a pastor from the Lay Pastor Institute @ Sterling College, served three churches (together) part time then became their fulltime pastor.
Probably I put the insurance exam, got pictures published in one catagory and the pastor work and commisssionint in another. The first two were temporary and the others seem to be life work.
I believe the same qualities are required for all. I am tenacious, hard working, committed, and would add passionate about what I do no matter what it is.
Along with the personal mission statement I am reading "Walking in Your Own Shoes" by Robert A. Schuller. Both of these seem to move in the same direction with aobut the same steps.
So far I have that I am a good communicator who is committed, passionate, and tenacious in my work.
Where are the rest of you at?????
Let me know as we walk this walk with the help of each other. Pastor WaynO

5 comments:

Editor and Publisher Shelly Burke said...

Being "good" at death is a rare gift . . . it's difficult to have the words and know what to do--or NOT do--in that situation. I think I, too, am good in those very difficult situations . . . it's hard to be with people when they're in such pain, but it's very fulfilling to know you've helped at such a difficult time.

I find myself reluctant to think very hard at what I'm good about . . . I don't know why . . . guess I grew up with parents warning me against bragging and I have some sort of superstition about "showing off."

WaynO said...

I think the thing about death we have to remember is the vulnerability of people at that time. As they struggle with the death of a loved one they are at the same time on a roller coaster ride of emotions.
I find it a time to reach into painful places with them that cannot be reached at other times. In a selfish way as a pastor I also have discovered I cannot do much wrong. If you care for them and are kind they reciprocate that very well. Leaves me feeling like I really did something that people appreciated and at times that is a rarity. Pastor WaynO

Debra said...

I kinda understand the death thing, because Mark (my husband) is good at death. He has had deal with it so much in his life, personally and professionally.He is a people person. I think anyone who can talk to people at that time, are gifted. I am lousy at death. People need people like you Wayne and Shelly. I am glad you are there.

Debra said...

Mission statement
I have come up with a few things I am good at, I love to read and study, and like to share what I am learning. I am good at details. Good at being in the background.

#2 I have to agree with you Wayne and say that I found a wonderful husband,who has put up with me through thick and thin and it's been more thin than thick. Now this is really a coincidence I too have sold life insurance. Recieved an associate degree at age 50. My children are grown. I was a certified lay speaker.(which was total faith. I am passionate about God.

Johanna said...

Wow, being "good at death" is pretty big. In my short list of accomplishments, most were achieved through working really hard, physically, studying until the wee hours of the morning, being honest, and my secret superpower, "Crippling Anxiety". Well, I guess it's not crippling, but a constant mental rumbling of"I'm going to fail, oh crap, they are going to fire me, no one is going to have fun at this party, this meal is not going to be good" actually has been beneficial in a way, because I end up trying harder than I would have if that negative voice weren't there. I also have the showing off superstition Shelly mentioned, I remember playing on the floor while my mom participated in her church womens' group "Humbleness Contest"(isn't that hysterical?there was an award, too, I don't remember what it was, but when I retold this story to my husband, he mimed holding a trophy over his head and screaming"IN YOUR FACE, LESS HUMBLE PEOPLE- I AM THE HUMBLEST ONE!!!!"), so I grew up not really tooting my own horn,pride was a biggie, sin wise.But I will say that I think I am a good mother, and I can usually make people laugh. Usually at me. And I love seeing people laughing.